In the thermal expansion chapter of Class 11 Physics, we study the principles of thermal expansion, including the coefficient of linear expansion, superficial expansion, and volume expansion. We explore how materials expand or contract with temperature changes and examine their applications in various fields.
Thermal Expansion falls under Heat and Thermodynamics branch of physics and has total 5 chapters. Heat and Temperature, Thermal Expansion, Quantity of Heat, Rate of Heat Flow and Ideal Gas are the chapters falling under this branch.
Linear expansion and its measurement, Cubical expansion, Superficial expansion and its relation with linear expansion, Liquid Expansion: Absolute and apparent, Dulong and Petit method of determining expansivity of liquid.
After studying this chapter, students should be able to:
- Explain some examples and applications of thermal expansion, and demonstrate it with simple experiments.
- Explain linear, superficial, cubical expansion and define their corresponding coefficients with physical meaning.
- Establish a relation between coefficients of thermal expansion.
- Describe Pullinger's method to determine coefficient of linear expansion.
- Explain force set up due to expansion and contraction.
- Explain differential expansion and its applications.
- Explain the variation of density with temperature.
- Explain real and apparent expansion of liquid appreciating the relation; γᵣ = γ₉ + γₐ
- Describe Dulong and Petit's experiment to determine absolute expansivity of liquid. Solve mathematical problems related to thermal expansion
Just scroll down to view the complete handwritten note of thermal expansion chapter of class 11 physics.
If you need the full notes of Thermal Expansion chapter, along with some important questions, you can access the PDF provided below. These comprehensive notes cover all the essential information that students require to create effective study materials for their exams.
Thermal Expansion Class 11 Physics Notes PDF
In class 11 thermal expansion chapter we will study about many different topics. Students should take notes of every topics very carefully for better understanding of the chapter and to prepare a well managed notes for exam preparation. If your teacher hasn't provided you any notes then you can prepare your notes from the PDF given below.
If you wish to access the PDF offline, you have the option to download it for personal use. However, please note that the PDF is intended for personal educational purposes only, and any commercial use or sharing without permission is not permitted.
Our intention in providing these notes is to support class 11 students in saving time and concentrating on their studies, rather than spending time creating notes. Once downloaded, you can conveniently read from the PDF, allowing you to focus on studying when time is limited.
Share the love and spread the knowledge. Free to share this notes with your friends and classmates! 😊